Sometimes we have no choice but to learn to deal with doctors who come across as arrogant or superior. Yet, we patients must still be able to ask the questions we need to ask, and get the answers we need, despite the unpleasant personality of Dr. Arrogant. Here are some stories and suggestions from empowered patients. Share Your Experience
Dangerous to health
- I've had a surgeon blame me, it was all in my head, etc. because he was so egotistical that he couldn't see other diagnoses. It turned out I had multiple issues. Then when he got called on it and a potential privacy violation, he dropped me. That's illegal. Then dropped my care and proceeded to interfere with my care.
- —Guest bariatrichelp
Nearly Killed by RNs and MDs
- The arrogance in the medical community is a nuisance, but the uninformed actions coming from this arrogance are what put patients in danger. I have been put INTO acute medical danger more times than I can count at the hands of medical professionals. I have had diabetese longer than many of them have been alive, yet they insist they know what I need. The lack of accountability is equally scary. I went up the chain of command complaining, and it seems they all defend one another. Maybe Grey's Anatomy is not so unrealistic after all and they are all sleeping with one another. There is no less safe place for me as a diabetic than the hospital. How ironic.
- —Guest Melanie
Arrogant Primary Care Doctor
- I never encountered an arrogant doctor until I moved to D.C.. Unfortunately, my current p-doctor is so rude and arrogant she once called her poor Mercedes mechanic in the middle of our session to bawl him out. The poor guy got defensive, so she spent several minutes tearing him apart. "YES, I AM A DOCTOR," she yelled. Then, when she charged me $$$$ for signing a paper to "help me get unemployment benefits," but actually stated I was disabled for life (right after telling me to take a job offer), she refused to rectify the situation. When I protested her spending all of our sessions texting other patients (no these weren't emergencies), she yelled that she was going to dump me as a patient. She treats Senators, so maybe this is why she's arrogant? She also yelled at me that my going over time on the sessions impacted her other patients. I couldn't see her clock, so she needed to call the end of session. Just like other D.C. people, she throws tantrums when she feels like it.
- —Guest sue
Multiple Sclerosis Doctor Experience
- This doctor has a clinic that treats multiple sclerosis. The statistic on his website is difficult to trust as it is very primitive, not updated and cannot be verified. He has a anger management problem and has shouted at patients when they complain about the poor quality of care, nutrition, unorganised treatment schedules, animals in the clinic areas, and symptoms that do not go away. He claims great success in treating MS, but is not able to explain some MRI findings, answer some patient questions, dismisses the validity of Vit D therapy in MS and the role of Vit B12, folate and Omega 3 oils. The atmosphere in the clinic is not conducive to meditation and relaxation with much construction and although the website implies regular information sessions, yoga and meditation guidance, this is not the norm. There is no accounting for the patients who do not complete the treatment schedule because they felt worse, suffered new relapses. And he posts patients details on FB.
- There is not enough room to list allof the arrogant Doctors I have dealth with. I am now permanently disabled with chronic pain due to an arrogant Doctor. He threatened to send me to jail for showing up in his ER with a ruptured disc! I now have his mug shot on my fridge, he was busted with a Hooker (Poor Girl) and Cocaine! He was the ER Director at our local Hospital. I have met some of the stupidest arrogant Doctors ever! One I actually asked if I looked like an Instructor from Johns Hopkins? He made an annoying comment about Chronic pain and heroin addicts! I let him have it, Listing everything I had done and then asking if he had any better ideas. The funny thing was, this jerk had the entire office staff terrified. the shrink in the next office patted me on the back and said something like "You Go"! The staff were all tittering with laughter, no one had spoken to him like that before! Then there was Pain Clinic Doc Mr Macho, couldn't read an MRI! He was short, I tall!
- —Guest Couchlady777
- i went to a doctor last week for the intestines and stuff cause i was diganosed with diverticulous and when the doctor looked at me he asked why am i seeing him i told him i have pain in my abodmine, and was trying to tell him other symptoms as well. he looks at me as i'm talking stops me in the middle of what i'm saying and askes me if i have ADHD i answer yes then he truns around and tells me well theres ur problem then he test my stools and finds a bacteria in my stomache from antibotics and sends in a perscription i had a question about it and call him to ask and he says well thats only on lab rats and askes me if i'm a lab rat in disquises and yes i'm on medicade i've also delt with two other punk doctors and not the type of person to be a reble so not sure what to do i live in albuq nm
- —Guest gigi3958
In need of Spinal Surgery
- My Spine is narrowing and causes me a lot of pain went to see a Nureosurgeon and bcz. I am on Indaegent care he treated me like I was not even there nothing I had to say even mattered. So is there anyway I can see another Suregeon . I have no Income and signing up for my Disability. I need Help I am hurting to the point that I don't even care about Life its a constant battle just to do light house work and this Surgery that he says I don't need would Help me so much but bcz. I am on Indegent Care I don't seem to exsist . so if you have any ,Idea how I can get the Help I need Please let me know... I'm not good in Tennessee !!!
- —Guest Cheryl Romines
- Patients are not the fault most of the time. If a doctor cannot folloe the profcode ofconduct and ethics or hipocrates oath..report them..you might save.someone else life. Boo hoo drs..are you paid minimum wage?
- —Guest Patient as customer
- I have had a bad bad exp. with an addiction dr. he is very rude and yells at you, when you have done nothing- I have never had such a bad dr.he will tell you something and say he never said that- the wait for dr. is 3 - 4 hours every time maybe less if your lucky?i have seen this and it has been done.
- —Guest yello
Lying libelous urologist
- The man is a bully, apparently very insecure. IN his final note he claimed a histry of a disease that is incorrect. Upon calling his medical records person, I was told she cuold not amend the records, because I had made the error in the first place. I cannot complain to the doctor because he wrote untruths about our interactions in his records.
My doctor claims she cured my Chron's
- My doctor is a spokesperson for a pharmaceutical company who makes Budesonide medicine for Chron's because it failed me she will not treat with and other medicine. I furnished documents of other proven treatments. Which she would not even read. Then she became very rude suggested I find those doctors to treat me and told me I am cured of Chron's and no longer in need of her care. If she cured Chron's she would be one of the most famous doctors who discovered the cure for chron's disease for which we know there is no such cure. And my body wouldn't have rashes all over from chron's.
Arrogant and abusive Surgeon
- I attended the public hospital in my area on Friday having waiting for 6 months to see Orthopedic Surgeon. Since 2007 I have been experiencing pain in my knees and hips effecting my walking, standing climbing stairs, sitting for long periods . It has got increasingly worse. In Nov 2012 I went to the city walking a short distance of one side of a block from railway station. It was uphill by the time I got there I could barely stand and took pain relief to no effect. I hobbled into my doctor next day and he was shocked. He sent me for xray of my hip and then referred me to Ortho Clinic. This doctor called Peter ? even before I sat down said how long have you been this BIG!. You can afford to lose 20 kg. well since my gallbladder surgery in April I have actually lost 7.2kg I said. 5 times through out the consult he said this to me. He quickly looked at xray and said your not a candidate for hip replacement and too young, I am 59.
I am shattered.I am going back to my doctor today.
Being bullied & insulted
- I am turning 52, with chronic morning headache and ear pain but no effective cure thru my family doctor. I recently change to seeing a new family doctor (Dr.G). In the first 2 consultations, Dr.G educated me with a new thought that I have been with "morning high blood pressure". I then keep self-measuring my blood pressure every morning. They are all within the range of upper 100 to 120 and lower 70 to 80. At the 3rd consultation, I expressed I still had all the pains and woke up with bad dreams. And after reading my self-measured data, Dr.G turned to focus on my mild sinus infection and prescribed me nasal sprays. At the end, Dr.G directly said : "Although you just 51, you talk like a 91 aged woman, cause you keep complaining a lot of things. Your forehead, ear and throat pains, .... Since your previous family doctor had referred you to specialists and they diagnosed no more treatments, I did not know how to take care of you. You should get more social life and be relaxed."
- —Guest HBKW
never heard me
- SOME TIME AROUND LATE JAN I BEGAN HAVING PAINFUL SPASM THAT BEGAN BETWEEN MY SHOULDER BLADES AND A PAINFUL ELECTRICAL SHOCK WOULD GO DOWN MY LEFT ARM.THIS HAPPENED WHEN I COUGHED OR SNEEZED.A COUPLE DAYS LATER THE SPASMS AND SHOCKS WERE GOING DOWN BOTH ARMS.A FEW DAYS LATER AS I WAS GETTING OUT OF BED ONE MORNING I FOUND I WAS UNABLE TO STAND.MY LEGS HAD NO STRENGTH IN THEM AT ALL. AND WHEN TRYING TO WALK,THE LEFT FOOT KEPT TRYING TO COME DOWN ON THE TOP OF MY RIGHT FOOT.I WAS NOT EXPERIENCING ANY PAIN IN MY LEGS AT ALL.THEY WERE JUST TOTALLY WEAK. , I WENT TO THE BARSTOW HOSPITAL'S ER THIS WAS THE FIRST DOCTOR TO EXAMINE ME.I FELT COMFORTABLE WITH HIM IMMEDIATELY.THIS DOCTOR EXAMINED ME AND IMMEDIATLEY ORDERED A CT.HE PERFORMED STRENGTH TESTS ON MY LEGS ,FEET AND HANDS,AND ARMS.THE MOTOR EXAM FOR BOTH LEGS WERE 1+/5+. HE ORDERED BLOODWORK..HE TOLD ME IT WAS VERY IMPORTANT FOR ME TO FOLLOW UP AND WAS TOLD THAT I NEEDED TO CONTACT MY DR TO HAVE HIM REQUEST TO HAVE AN MRI DONE RIGHT AW
- —Guest KATHLEEN
Unethical and rude doctor
- I saw this doctor a few years ago but quit seeing him after during an office visit he asked me out on a date. I had to see him last week because my regular doctor was out. This doctor was very rude stated" we do not have time to chit-chat" but then he started talking about another patient. He wanted to do a blood test for high cholesterol but I am allergic to the meds so what use would a blood test do? Just more money for him. I am at a lose about what to do. The doctor I normally see has gotten to where he does not even listen to my heart. I know I need to find a new doctor but I am afraid they will not give me meds for fibromyalgia. The other doctor I saw did tell me lies and would not look at me while he was talking. My mother in law sees this doctor and is happy with him because he gives her the pain meds she asks for because she saw him in public very intoxicated.
- —Guest Janice