Sepsis/MRSA infection from Grady Hospita
- My husband had a severe brain injury from a flat tire in a vehicle. Came through the surgery of having his skull removed, tubes in his head to drain the blood and pressure, a tube in his lungs, and sedated for 3 weeks only to get sepsis from a bedsore and urinary tract . He was talking, moving and really doing well with what he had to endure before he got that infection. He ended up back in the ICU, he hasn't talked since, has no mobility with his legs or right arm. He is currently in the ICU now with MRSA from a feeding tube. Since he already had the bug in his body from Grady which they never told me how he really got it because they did not want to be blamed for it. They rushed him out of the hospital because of the liability, they were afraid he would die in their care. Because of that infection he will always carry that bug. The doctor said he would never walk or talk again for me to face reality!!!!! REALLY? They knew he had that infection and they hid the severity of it from me
- —Guest Shirley
Hospital Acquired Infection
- In Sept 2012 my Mother was diagnosed with Bladder Cancer. Tumor removed in October for biopsy, 2 Treatments of chemo, and she became very sick/system low/in pain while urinating after the initial removal. Entered same hospital on Dec 10th for bladder removal. Contracted VRE (unless the initial contraction happened in October?) that was not noticed until two weeks later following surgery. VRE has now morphed off into another strain of bacteria that is still attacking the incision and preventing healing. Mother is on available antobiotics, wound being dressed around the clock every six hours. Do we have a case here, should we have her transferred to a specific wound care/larger hospital?
- —Guest Confused and Scared
They turned a blind eye
- My mom was diagnosed with colon cancer in 09 & lung in 10. She had a resection in both cases & chemo. Both times she recovered well. She was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer this past Oct., had a whipple on October 18, 2012 & after 11 days in the hospital (houston) came home. Couldn't keep food down (gastroparesis) & we ended up back at the hospital (Houston) for 5 days. They put a picc line in for nutrients & sent her to a rehab type facility closer to our home to recover. We complained & wanted picc out 3 wks after we got there & we were ignored. She got VRE & wasnt medicated properly with antibiotics until 5 days later & they still didn't remove picc until resp. arrest started & they sent her to ER. All the doctors tried saying she was ill from the cancer (that it spread) not sepsis. She died on December 20, in my home in my arms less than 2 wks after infection. She suffered horribly that last wk. If 1 person would've just done the right thing....but no one stood up.
- —Guest Completely devastated
yes i have at least 3
- I had my bladder removed 6 months ago now i can not get ride of these infections a few are normal infections but 3 others are caused from the hospital what do i do now?????i know one is mrsa and i know im spelling it wrong something aryus also i had blood spesis
- —Guest cara
- My step-father had a knee replacement. One week later while at home the therapist thought that it was infected. He went back to the hospital and they said he had Staph. After several days on IV anti-biotics the Staph was gone. Now we are told he has a severe case of C-diff and his kidneys are failing. He is having emergency surgery tomorrow to try and pump anti-biotics into his colon. He is not well.
- —Guest John
got in car accident & broke my leg
- After surgery from my leg & jaw I was on the way to recovery they gave me plenty of pain med's four month later I had severe pain in my ankle I go to er and doctor that saw me told me that Im having an enxiety attack & sends me home so the next day I go to another er & I got staff infection in my bone, can I sure
- —Guest Shawn beavers
- my wife picked up a staph infection at a hospital that cause her to lose her left foot three years ago and she was not able to sue the hospital because no lawyers would take her case . she is still suffering from the aftermath of having only one foot. the hospital put the blame on her and refuse to offer her any kind of compensation.
- —Guest jeffreyk cole
sore too long
- Two weeks after open heart surgery developed staph infection only to be cut open again. Now I am five months in and still so sore I can hardly work.
- —Guest l pierce
my newborn baby was infected with staph
- My newborn was infected with staph infection of the blood after receiving an catherzation for his heart. the same day i brought him home he spiked a fever of 103.9 and now back in the hospital. now he is on antibiodics for seven days and no one is telling me if this will effect him in the later years of his life what to do.
- —Guest angel
- My dad came home from work one day, he was feeling strange. He was not a man to become sick or ill, he never even had a cavity. we took him to hospital, a world known hospital. They told us that he had a server case of the flue, this was in march. We took him home, 3 days later we were right back at that same E. R. When we came in the told us he had MRSA and cdif, and that he was in organ failure. TThey knew he had it 8 hrs after they let him go from the first visit. We received know phone call, they notified no police, they sent a certified letter saying we need to bring him in for treatment. We received the letter around 2 weeks later while he was in the ICU. My dad passed away in may. His funeral was on my birthday and I gave his eulogy. I went to pick up his medical records, and they were over 2000 pages. I was meet by the hospitals lawyers, he was wanting to know if the records were for me or my lawyer.I wanna sue them to expose their lie, and Hersey, its about truth not money
- —Guest broken and lost
Mom died after routine surg
- Mom was a healthy vibrant 79 year old. Heart valve defect was found on her annual exam. 6/6/11 she had what was to be a simple 45 minute valve replacement. 9 hours later she came out of surgery. Dr told me there were complications. Being a nurse, I am sure that sterile technique was broken during this long of a surg. She shockingly survived only to be sent home with an infected incision. They never gave her antibiotics, even when at home, pus was literally pouring out of her chest. Dr never took this infection seriously. Nine weeks and nine surgeries later, she died 8/11/11 of sepsis from her incision. My heart hurts to this day. It is the one year anniversary of her death and I miss her every day. Dr and hospital never admitted fault but she was only the second person to ever have her hospital bills wiped away by this hospital. Scream, yell, refuse to leave...whatever it takes..make them take your infection seriously.
- My newborn grandaughter had a water infection at birth which went untreated ,she was addmitted to hospital at 12 days old and discharged a week later but fell seriously ill 5 days later ,she had a red rash on her forehead which quickly turned to a pirple bruise like lesion which eventually scarred,all her main organs failed and she was resussitated twice and was on a life support machine,she was diagnosed with rhabdomyolyosis and miracuously recovered ,how would this have occured in such a small baby,The doctors said she had sepsis and septic shock and other doctors said she was battered which we know that that was not the case other said she was suffocating with heat stroke under the blankets which looking at the lesions she had on her forehead ,behind her ear and one at the nape of her neck would have taken hours to occur if that was the case and she would have suffocated,She was overdosed by the hospital after she was taken in with 800 mls of oramorph and this happened on 7 times.
- My Mother had total knee replacement surgery with in a week it started to bleed. Went to the Dr's office and was told it was a superfical hematoma this went on for 3 weeks, two Dr's appointments and one trip to the emergency room. She was sent home again a superficial hematoma. Finally her visiting nurse called an ambulance concerned about blood loss. Found a terrible infection that was in the bone. Another surgery and put on a picc line vancomycin she developed Steven's Johnson's sydrom witch was not diagnosed as the skin peeled off her hands. She went into acute renal failure, back to the hospital. In two days she developed Cdiff and several vancomycin resistant infections. She died two months after the orginal surgery on her death certificate cause of death was septicema. Lost my Mom over knee replacement.
- —Guest sandy
Doctors need to Listen
- My mother was recently diagonised with pancratic cancer in less than two had the Whipple surgery. In hospital for two weeks sent home. Five days later back to hospital by ambulance emrgency surgry remove drain tube, you have infection here some antibotics go home. Been seeing the surgen regularry complaining I hurt, I smell funny and am running a fever. There is nothing wrong in Jan saw her regular doctor who sent to the hospital for emergancy care for severe infection. In hospital six days sent her home w/ anitbotics, she is now back in hospital again so far five days and CDC has been brought in, she has a super bug. Now she cannot have Chemo or Radation because window has passed, why didn't her doctor listen to her and why is it just now being treated now? Something is wrong when you go from end of Oct to end of March before you actually start getting a real treatment for your infection. So Sad!!!!!:-(
- —Guest cv
Acquired Staff Four Days After Surgery
- I had surgery on the back of my ankle for a cyst after which they bandaged me and told me not to remove the cast for two weeks. Four days later, I was in extreme pain and told my wife. We removed the dressing and the smell was horrific. Called doctor and was told to go to ER asap. Waited 3 hrs in ER, told I had an infection and almost lost my foot. Now they want to bill me for that 3 day stay. Fighting it, any suggestions from someone who went thru the same thing???
- —Guest Tony Richard