How-To's for EmPatients - Skills that Can Make You an Empowered Patient
- Get the Right Diagnosis
- Make Good Medical Decisions
- Choose the Best Doctors and Hospitals
- Understand Your Medical Records
- Work with Your Doctor
- Get the Most from Your Research
- Save Money
- Stay Safe Accessing Healthcare
- More Skills for Empowered Patients
Get the Right Diagnosis
Whether you haven't yet visited your doctor, you've already been given a diagnosis, or you remain undiagnosed, there are good practices that will help you get the right answers.
- How to Confirm Your Diagnosis
- How to Get Your Medical Test Results
- How to Use Website Symptom Checkers
- How to Find a Second Opinion Doctor
Make Good Medical Decisions
When we're sick, it's difficult to think as clearly as we would like. But never has it been more important. Here are some skills that will help you pull together all the information you need to make the best medical decisions for yourself or a loved one.
- How to Make a Medical Decision
- How to Understand Informed Consent
- How to Learn About Alternative and Complementary Medicine Online
- How to Use Medical Journals for Health Research
- How to Use Yahoo and Google News Alerts to Keep Up With Health News
Choose the Best Doctors and Hospitals
Choosing the right doctor can make the difference between life and death - or the quality of the life you have. Not all doctors have the same skills. Be sure you know who you are working with.
- How to Choose the Right Doctor
- How to Find a Doctor Online
- How to Verify a Doctor's Board Certification
- How to Check a Doctor's Malpractice Record
- How to Use Doctors' Ratings Websites
- How to Choose the Best Hospital
Understand Your Medical Records
As we move toward electronic medical record systems, it is more important than ever that we check our records, understand them, and correct any errors.
- How to Request Your Medical Records
- How to Find Errors in your Records
- How to Correct Errors on Your Records
Work with Your Doctor
Just because a doctor has a good reputation doesn't mean that doctor is the best one for you. Make sure you and your doctor are mutually respectful.
- How to Communicate With Your Doctor
- How to Share Internet Health Information With Your Doctor
- How to Deal With an Arrogant Doctor
- How to Improve a Doctor's Bedside Manner
- How to Repair Your Relationship With Your Doctor
Get the Most from Your Research
There is more information about health matters available than ever before. But it's not all good or correct or even intended to do well by you. Learn to find the most credible information, and be sure you know how to avoid being scammed.
- How to Find Credible Health Information Online
- How to Find Health Research Off Line
- How to Keep Up With the Latest Health News
- How to Find Support Groups
- How to Make Medical Headlines Work for You
Healthcare gets more expensive every day. While accessing care will never again be much of a bargain, there are some ways you can help reduce your own expense.
- How to Use Discount Drug Cards
- How to Save Money With Drug Samples
- How to Find Free and Low Cost Prescription Drugs
- How to Use a Health Savings Account
- How to Choose the Best Insurance Plan
Stay Safe Accessing Healthcare
Between 44,000 and 98,000 Americans die from avoidable medical mistakes every day. Patients acquire infections they should not get, they are the victims of surgical errors, they are given the wrong drugs. These articles will help you be sure you or a loved one doesn't become a statistic.
More Skills for Empowered Patients
Some skills are important but don't easily fall into a specific category. Here are some additional skills that can help get you farther down the road to being an empowered patient.