1. Health
Trisha Torrey

Your Opinion Please - How Trustworthy is Dr. Oz?

By January 4, 2013

(See updates below)

My first introduction to Dr. Mehmet Oz was many years ago when he and his co-author, Dr. Mike Roizen, published You, the Owner's Manual.  It's a good book, I learned a lot.  And because of it, I was impressed with both gentlemen....

But of late, I'm not so sure about Dr. Oz. Don't get me wrong.  I LIKE the man - or at least the persona I see on TV.  He strikes me as friendly, caring and likable. A nice man.

I'm just not sure he's doing his watchers / listeners / readers a service.  In fact, there are times his offerings might be downright dangerous, according to the Chicago Tribune.

But I'm conflicted.

How can such a (seemingly) nice guy be doing us watchers / readers/ listeners a disservice? (Or does he fit into my mantra that not all "nice" doctors are competent, and to be competent, a doctor doesn't have to be "nice"?)

After giving it quite a bit of thought, I've decided that it boils down to two things:

1.  Follow the Money and

2.  Lack of Transparency

You see - the effect of money is seen in much of his work.  Having sponsors is one thing (that's how much of TV works anyway) - but having sponsors influence your recommendations is another.  Example:  One of Dr. Oz's most prominent sponsors on his website is Schiff Vitamins and Nutrition.  Ads for Schiff products are all over this site.  No wonder Dr. Oz has been such a proponent of Omega-3 Fish Oil Supplements!

(By the way, he has lots of ads for NatureMade products, too - not sure whether they also make fish oil supplements.)

But wait!  It turns out that there has been a plethora of research results released in the past year (find this info on the NIH / NCCAM website) that says that maybe fish oil isn't all that after all.

So what does Dr. Oz do?  On his Dr. Oz TV homepage, he has a video right up front that explains why that research is irrelevant.

Here's my problem... maybe that research IS irrelevant.  It wouldn't be the first research to be irrelevant by any means.  However - to come so prominently and definitively to its defense makes one wonder - why?  Well - of course - Follow the Money.  One of Schiff's leading products is a fish oil supplement, touted all over the Oz website.

So there's no question here...  now we know at least part of the reason why Dr. Oz thinks fish oil is so very important.  His mortgage depends on it.

That's my conclusion... but maybe I'm wrong?  Maybe he really does think it's important.  But then - why not be transparent about his ties to the industry and their influence on his recommendations?   At least then I would have no standing to question him because he had come clean.

Here's another example:

Dr. Oz has another website called ShareCare in which patients are able to ask questions and get them answered, presumably by experts.  Now, some of those answers probably do come from experts, but most of them come from sponsors.  Here's a list of those sponsors.

I poke around the questions patients have (presumably) asked - I find that most of the answers don't come from people experts.  They seem to come from sponsors - like Walgreens, or pharmaceutical companies, or insurance companies.  Do a search for Psoriasis - and the advertiser on the page is the drug company that makes a psoriasis drug.  Follow the money.

So the question remains...  can we trust Dr. Oz to give us good objective, well-researched medical advice?  Or is it all about the money?

A few things for you here:

1.  Take the poll above. Let us know what you think.  Do you trust the information Dr. Oz provides?  (Comment, too, if you'd like.)

2.  No matter what kind of healthcare advice you seek, you always need to follow the money.

3.  We're talking about Internet health information. No matter who provides it, it should be reviewed for its credibility and reliability.  And

4.  When it comes to any sort of medical research, there are ways to assess it for yourself.

............................................

Update! Seems the Chicago Tribune isn't the only media second guessing Dr. Oz.  Slate questions his advice, too.

And - some new information for you, too:

•  What Do Dr. Oz, Dr. McDreamy and Dr. Nancy Snyderman Have in Common?

•  What Can Smart Patients Learn from Media or Celebrity Doctors?

•  Celebrity Doctors - Check Their Credentials and Follow the Money

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Agree? Disagree?
Share your experience or join the conversation!

NEWSLETTER | FORUM | TWITTER
FACEBOOK | CONNECT

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Photo © Getty Images

Comments
January 6, 2013 at 4:12 pm
(1) Carolyn Thomas says:

Thanks so much for this comprehensive overview, Trish. Thanks also for reminding your readers to be critical consumers of health information – yes, even if that info is brought to you by a person with the letters M.D. after his name.

And your “Follow the money” reminder turns out to be wise advice generally – like accepting as gospel those sensational headlines about miracle cures (Dr. Oz loves miracles, too!)

Dr. Tom Linden – a professor of medical and science journalism at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill recently explaind that today’s celebrity doctors can be divided into two broad categories: ‘medical journalists’ and ‘medical showmen’. Dr. Oz has clearly morphed into the latter. As Dr. Linden explains:

“Journalists operate under journalistic principles. The showmen operate outside the sphere of journalism and are in the world of informational entertainment.”

Dr. Oz and his game-show-style audience participation activities (“Four Libido Super-Foods that will Save your Relationship!!!”) are often in fact embarrassingly cringe-worthy, given his sterling former credentials as a cardiac surgeon.

It’s all about TV ratings now – not medicine. Very sad, really.

January 7, 2013 at 2:55 pm
(2) Jill H-W says:

Once he got his own show, I felt that he lost credibility. I rarely watch him. Obviously, he needs to keep his show exciting with break-through information. He’s become a showman. He’s like “Live with Kelly and Michael” or “The Biggest Loser”. High on the flash. Substance that we all should hold up to the light and look at closely.

January 7, 2013 at 6:27 pm
(3) Staci says:

Wow – serious allegations here. As a regular viewer of The Dr Oz Show I totally disagree.

The show has actually addressed this topic in the past. Of course supplement and drug companies advertise on this show and website – they be idiots not to. That’s how targeted advertising works.

How about the ads on this very page? I’m seeing an ad for a sketchy green tea diet allegedly endorsed by Dr Oz. Obviously a false claim. Dr Oz has talked about this as well and is actively trying to shut down these operations.

The show never recommends any specific brands or shows brand name supplements.

There was a recent segment about cholesterol lowering drugs being harmful for women. They even mentioned certain statins by name. I bet the the pharma companies loved that.

He’s had many guests on the show who advocate for alternative medicine. But drug and supplement companies will continue to advertise trying to grab the attention and dollars from viewers interested in health topics.

From what I’ve seen the show hasn’t promoted any advertised products. Sure he talks about supplements, but many are hard to find and not even made by NatureMade or Schiff. He did a segment on Red Palm Oil last week. It isn’t widely available anywhere and it’s not being advertised on the show or website.

I just searched doctoroz.com for diabetes, weight loss, headaches, asthma and psoriasis. I saw ads for horoscope and design websites, natural markets, a local gated community and AT&T. Hardly good fodder for the Dr Oz show. Maybe more searching would have other results but that’s all I saw.

If Dr Oz was concerned about his mortgage we’d be following the money to a line of Dr Oz supplements. These do not exist. Other “celebrity” doctors like Andrew Weil and Joseph Mercola have huge product lines. That alone makes me skeptical.

That’s not to say I agree 100% with everything on the Dr Oz Show but I do feel like l’m exposed to new ideas and see little evidence that the content is advertiser driven.

January 7, 2013 at 11:29 pm
(4) CC says:

Greetings, I stumbled across your article last night and decided to put in my two cents. First and foremost I have met and interacted with Dr. Oz and a couple of different levels. My dear friend works for him, one of the main things I know and like about him, is that all of his patients are dealt with in the highest form of care one can possibly imagine. After surgery, he has them treated by acupuncturists, nutritionists, etc. Right there, at their bed side. He also personally has gone above and beyond for some of the people that he works directly with. Sometimes when one person gets “big” they no longer control the entity, it’s the Producers. I do think his show helps those that are “unaware” – and teaches people to be their own personal health/medical advocate. There are a lot of uneducated people out there and to pack in Medical Information into a very short period of time, I think they do a decent job. No show is ever perfect.

January 10, 2013 at 1:59 pm
(5) Rachel says:

“Following the money” is not as simple as this article implies at all. Just because one can fathom a connection between two entities does not mean it exists or has inappropriate amounts of influence. And let me assure you, many of the inappropriate connections that do exist are well hidden behind frequent and multiple business name and organizational licensure strategy changes by all parties. If a connection is as easily visible as the one between Dr Oz and this supplement company, it probably IS legit or it would be better covered up.

January 10, 2013 at 2:04 pm
(6) Steve says:

Thanks for offering this. Here’s a bit from Dr. Harriet Hall, the “Science Doc” who is an active skeptic on medicine and quackery. At one time I belonged to her skeptics group. She is certainly worth reading about her views on Dr. Oz and his lack of science.

If you are not familiar with Science Based Medicine, give her link a try.

January 10, 2013 at 3:07 pm
(7) Trisha Torrey says:

Thanks to you all for your input so far. Our tally:

3 highly credible sources that suggest Dr. Oz is twisting science and evidence (Chicago Tribune, Slate, and Science Based Medicine.)

Plus a few folks who think that “follow the money” is too simplistic, and that Dr. Oz doesn’t make claims based on that simplicity.

But so far, no one seems to think he’s totally credible.

Truth is – asking the question and exploring answers on your own is the important part. An empowered patient does his or her homework, no matter what form that homework takes or no matter why you arrive at the answers you do – as long as your decisions are based on credible information (as opposed to wishful thinking.)

So far it seems we all agree that Dr. Oz has some credibility issues.

Anyone else care to weigh in?

Trisha

January 10, 2013 at 4:13 pm
(8) oli says:

Don’t watch him anymore. I’ve found him to not be credible. I’m seeing that the same thing is happening with “The Doctors” show which is influenced by the Dr. Phil people. I thought The Doctors show was good, but as of lately they are going after the money as Dr. Oz has done. The more I see Dr Phil (formula) influence the less I watch The Doctors. Their credibility is going down in my opinion. THey had a good show but now the greed factor is creeping into it thanks to Dr. Phil influence ….

January 10, 2013 at 5:10 pm
(9) Regular Reader says:

Trisha – You are right on.

As a cancer survivor I was excited when the Dr. Oz show announced a special segment on my cancer. It was not visibly sponsored but the messaging was the same as that from the pharmaceutical company that sells the treatment touted on the show. The disconnect between the provision of information from the patient perspective vs that of the industry making money off those patients would have only been apparent to those with enough knowledge to know the difference. Most of the audience did not.

Dr. Oz represents himself as the people’s doctor, and his charm and manner play right into that. He is, by many standards, considered to be an excellent surgeon and practicing physician. The Dr. Oz brand is about entertainment and profits. The person and the brand the person represents are two different things. That’s what most of the public doesn’t get and why articles like yours are so important.

Thanks for all that you do.

January 11, 2013 at 4:55 am
(10) gemdiamondintherough says:

I have not watched him as much lately, as in the past. BUT as already been eluded to , do your own research, no matter who is giving you the information. Remember that statistics can be used to show things in several different ways, depending on what question you may or may not ask. The positive is that I think that these programs are hopefully, making people think about taking charge of their own health care. Of course you have to research and educate yourself. Many people are followers, and will believe anything they hear “hook, line and sinker”. Also remember that not the same thing works for everyone. We are all very similar, however still different. Get to know your body and try to be in tune with it. You should be the one that knows your body best. Granted in this medical climate, not every one has or wants to take the time needed to use less invasive things, rather than just order some pill and send you on your way. We are a society that expects instantaneous results, rather than using natural, less costly remedies first, to see if that will give the same results. There are however certain things that should be taken care of swiftly and with appropriate medication.

January 11, 2013 at 11:22 am
(11) Deidre Windsor says:

I had a specific heart problem and called Dr. Oz office asking for an appointment when asked why I wanted to see him I told them I was impressed with his non-invasive procedures. I was told to call back as the person doing appointments was not in and was reminded that Dr. Oz is a very busy man.. I called four or five times and was always treated rudely….until I decided the fault lies with the doctor himself when his staff treats prospective patients in this manner….so not only do I watch him, follow his advice, but have little respect for him as he is so busy with his TV career, magazine articles, guest shots, etc.

January 11, 2013 at 11:42 pm
(12) Bob James, M.D., J.D. says:

Trish: Thanks for writing this timely article. I have long wondered about Dr. Oz and his movement towards celebrity and ratings. I have no doubt that he is an excellent physician but certainly not a medical journalist as much as a medical entertainer. While many can take some of his information with a grain of salt, many folks are very vulnerable and take what he says as the gospel. Always discuss ANY information you come across from any source with YOUR physician whom I assume you should trust. Thanks!

January 14, 2013 at 1:55 am
(13) gemdiamondintherough says:

My only comment to Deidre would be, perhaps consider sending the doctor a registered letter. If clients do not inform the physician about how his office staff is treating them, there is nothing they can do about it.
I had a personal experience, and when I “filed” a complaint, it was discovered that the office manager was trying to work 2 jobs and therefore was not helpful to clients, neither doing due diligence to that particular office.
I am not suggesting that there may not be some “celebrity” involved.
But there may be other factors involved as well. Just a thought….

January 14, 2013 at 12:39 pm
(14) Nora Johnson says:

Some months ago, Dr. Oz began his show by disclaiming any financial ties or other endorsements to all advertisers. He denied any and all ties with drug companies and natural, homeopathic pills, vitamins and all such products. What is troubling is these sales put pictures of Dr. Oz
all over their advertisements, but Dr. Oz emphatically disclaims any
relationship with them.

Before you claim he should sue, just how many lawyers would he have to pay to get his pictures removed by these charlatans? They would break anyone’s bank account!

January 15, 2013 at 1:06 pm
(15) Laura says:

I take what Dr Oz says with a grain of salt based on personal experience.

This is just another reason why I rely on researchers who are less in the public eye.
But here’s the crux of our time………..who do we really trust when nearly everyone can be bought–including your local pharmacist; and how can anyone really tell who hasn’t been bought?

March 19, 2013 at 4:58 am
(16) marie says:

I HAVE TAKEN CARCINIA CAMBOGIA FOR THREE WEEKS AND HAVE GAINED FIVE POUNDS, HAVE BEEN EATING LESS AND EXERCISING WHY DO YOU THINK THAT IS?

March 20, 2013 at 2:14 am
(17) Walli says:

This article is amazing! My 94 yr young neighbor stated a couple of months ago exactly that about Dr. Oz – used to be good with advice but now she says he is making money through promoting products. Also, just read where he is being sued for a man who slept with warm rice in his socks. I can’t sleep so I started wearing socks to bed as they say your upper body should be cooler…my feet became red and raw just from wearing them a short time If you wear socks all day and night, your feet do not get air and become raw…I experienced it first hand. I actually can’t sleep if I am cold. This man is right, I’m sure his feet were raw and burned from putting heat on them. I no longer sleep in socks and let my feet breathe during the night. I’ve had no foot problems since. Now I am doubting Dr. Oz.

March 20, 2013 at 10:26 am
(18) Joan Young says:

I worked in cardiac surgery for 40 years. Dr. Oz cannot be very well thought of by his peers and by the OR personnel. Why? Because he’s in show business now. If you watch his show you’ll know what I mean. It’s not serious. It’s all show. Taking peoples shoes off, doing silly experiments.
I find him laughable as a doctor. Not serious at all.

March 21, 2013 at 12:26 am
(19) Madeline says:

I yfeel that the dr. who burnt his feet should have known better that if u have neruopathy you never put anything hot (esp. microwaved) onto the area that is numb. If it is numb what do u expect to feel? Whether Dr. Oz is just acting as some think I am sure most of his findings have been researched. I do believe he always gives a warning of some kind about what he is discussing but again this was a dr. listening to his advice. Maybe at his age his hearing aids were turned off.

March 25, 2013 at 4:20 pm
(20) Kenneth Fraser says:

The rich man mayor bloomberg dose not belong on your show him and gov. chomo cannot relate to the average person and are not welcome in my tv shows. Therefore I will not be watching if you deside to have him on.

March 26, 2013 at 9:40 pm
(21) Dr. House says:

I am sad to say but a great amount of what Dr. Oz says in inaccurate. Misleading at best and outright lies at worst. Not everything is a lie but the danger is that he mixes in just enough facts to make the lies harder to see by the layperson. I certainly hope he is lying, at least. If not, he is amazingly ignorant for a physician. I will allude to an upcoming show about a dental restorative, amalgam, which is a mixture of many different metals – each one with properties which would not be healthful but as a metal alloy, has been proven to be safe and effective as well as affordable. Stainless steel contains carbon and iron. However, stainless steel does not corrode (rust) like iron nor will it smudge your hand with a black residue like carbon. Amalgam contains mercury, silver, copper, tin, etc.yet no clinical signs of mercury poisoning are present in patients with these restorations, the material does not tarnish, turn green or rust. The NIH and private peer-reviewed studies (most performed by universities in the US) show no health problems or concerns related to the material. The alternative materials are composite resin (with potential carcinogenic hydrocarbons and exhibit microleakage, decay, and failure at a much higher rate which is 50% more costly and lasts roughly half the time in the mouth), porcelain (which wear the opposing teeth and is five to six times more costly), and gold (which is a great material but the cost is even higher than porcelain). Every time a filling is replaced more tooth is removed, resulting in more advanced treatment to save the tooth at an earlier age. By all means, it would be great for docs to remove amalgam as a potential restorative option for patients. Not only will the alternatives cost more but they won’t last as long.

March 26, 2013 at 9:41 pm
(22) Dr. House says:

All these services are routinely performed by the average doctor; no unusual skill is required to do these alternative treatments. Now, in fairness, I do not know what Dr. Oz WILL say on his show but I am making a prediction based on his past shows. I predict he will be unfavorable to amalgam as a restorative material and will say it can lead to Alzheimer’s Disease (not a shred of evidence), poor IQ or mental performance (no proof whatsoever), or whatever the disease of the week is. But hey, no sweat for me. The more folks believe the “good doctor” the more money I make. If he comes out in support of amalgam I will eat my words but I’m thinking it’s a pretty safe bet.

Dr. House

April 10, 2013 at 6:56 pm
(23) mary says:

I am so with you on trusting Dr Oz. Nice enough gye but he has promoted so much stuff for this and that. And it boiles down to money and whatever he promotes costs a lot in my book. I almost ordered some face cream he promoted got to reading fine print. Well after getting it supposidly free you pay shipping. then they tag your credit card once a month for $92.00. Now who in their right mind would let them do that when they don’t even know if it really works. So glad i caught that. I’m doing my own supplements he doesn’t know me yet he promotes stuff . I think one day he may find himself in a big law suit. but better him than me. Enjoy the money Dr. Oz cause its not going to be mine.

April 23, 2013 at 8:50 pm
(24) deb says:

blah blah blah, much ado about nothing. People will always follow the money. Regardless if he is a good person and believes what he says, it doesn’t mean it’s true. Or perhaps not true for everyone would be more of an accurate statement

When someone goes from giving advise to selling advise or products, that’s when I’m done. When they are in it more for the money than helping others. It’s pretty obvious when that happens. Ads, Ads, Ads… Just my personal 2 cents.

May 2, 2013 at 4:36 pm
(25) Nathan says:

You’ve all got to first research before listening to Dr Oz’s hit & miss recommendations. Some things he recommends are good while others should come with a serious warning which Dr Oz does not do. He fails miserably at warning about side effects of supplements. Also, if anyone took even 10% of his many many daily recommendations (which change constantly) they either be very sick in the hospital or dead!

May 6, 2013 at 10:26 pm
(26) Barb Hitman says:

I trust Dr. Oz and he is NOT all about money. There is no reason he shouldn’t make money because he earns it. Many have learned much from him. He knows his facts and admits when he doesn’t. I admire his honesty!

May 11, 2013 at 7:25 pm
(27) Shirley Hall says:

Dr. Oz is a fraud. I will never believe another thing he says. As one person stated, I hope he chokes on a garcinia cambogia capsule. That is the biggest ripoff yet.

May 15, 2013 at 1:59 pm
(28) gary tarter says:

Dr. Oz is for who ever pays him the money.. several months ago he was raving about raspberry ketone as the greatest weight lose pill. The next month a new discovery, pure green coffee beans, best thing for weight loss. The newest thing now is garcinia cambogia pills, the most effective thing he has seen. 3 miracle drugs in a few months? The only thing that is great is his bank account, he goes to who ever gives him the money.

May 16, 2013 at 1:31 pm
(29) sally says:

I totally wanted to believe hime when he was singing high praises for green coffee extract. I even bought the one from his show, 3 month supply. It did absolutely nothing for me. Now I’m reading where the clinical trial was a handful of people who may have lost a pound or so based on the psychological process of being in a weight loss survey. I will never give much credance to his opinions again. Ususally now, if I’m home during the day watching tv, he is not watched. He’s also a little effeminent for me anyways.

May 17, 2013 at 4:43 pm
(30) Nathan@natc.com says:

Well said Gary. I tried raspberry keytones and it did absolutely nothing, zero, nada for appetite control. I also tried glucomannan and had severe stomach problems until I stopped taking this crap. If any of you listen to Dr Greedy you do so at the risk of harming yourself. Side effects are rarely or never mentioned on Dr Greedy’s show. It’s true that he’s all about the money. From experience I can attest to that fact. Don’t let his effeminate nice guy appearance fool you. BUYER BEWARE!

May 31, 2013 at 4:32 pm
(31) YMLBrennan says:

I think Dr Oz is, at this point, definetly in it for the money. I know of one time that it seemed that he contradicted his information. On one show he said that it was a myth that if you didn’t wear a bra, your breasts would sag. In reality, going braless caused the muscles to work and consequently, would help prevent the breasts from sagging. A few shows later, he had a guest on his show talking how important it was to have the proper fit of a bra to help lift the breasts. I believe that he has guests on his show that promote things that Dr Oz personally does not believe but it helps ratings. I also think his stage presence has changed. He has become a real showman. I think when he was on Oprah, he was sincere but that went down the drain when he got his own show.

June 13, 2013 at 8:03 am
(32) Mei Jia says:

TO: Dr. Mehmet Oz

Subject: Please add a TV show time at night time every day after work…

Dear Dr. Oz,

How are you today? Your TV show is great. I love it.

Your TV show time is at 2:00pm and 4:00pm Toronto time Monday to Friday. People who don’t work or take day off can watch your TV show at these times, but everybody can watch your TV show when you add your show at some night time or weekends after work.

I really hope I can watch your TV show every night after work. I have learned a lot of things from your show. I just love your show very much.

I wish you and your family all the best.

Mei

June 18, 2013 at 2:33 pm
(33) JACKIE KELLY says:

FYI…..WHAT YOU DON’T OBVIOUSLY GET!!!

WHAT DR. OZ REVEALS IS THE CHOICE BETWEEN TOXIC CHEMICALS & NATURAL, HERBAL THERAPIES THAT HAVE BEEN USED FOR CENTURIES AROUND THE GLOBE..

THERE’S NOTHING NEW OR QUACKERY ABOUT IT HOWEVER…
IT APPEALS MORE TO THE FREE THINKER THAT CAN DETERMINE THEIR OWN NEEDS WITHOUT SUPERVISION, FEAR…OR…
CONSULTING ANYONE BUT THEIR OWN BRAIN MATTER…

HOW SOON YOU FORGET…
OUR FOREFATHERS & PIONEER SETTLERS USED THE HERBS OF THE FIELDS TO HEAL THEMSELVES, MAKE EXTRACTS, SALVES…
LET YOUR FOOD BE YOUR MEDICINE..MINE IS & IT WORKS!

IT MAYBE TO MUCH FOR YOU TO COMPREHEND BUT THEIR IS A RISING DEMAND FOR ALTERNATIVE THERAPY IF YOU HAVEN’T NOTICED MAIN STREAM MED. HAS ITS PLACE BUT IT IS NOT THE ANSWER TO OUR FAILING HEALTHCARE CRISES…
I’M A SENIOR SENIOR I TAKE NO MEDICATIONS I USE FOOD & HERBS & ALTERNATIVE THERAPY IT HAS STOPPED AN IMPENDING HEART ATTACK IS HEALING MY HEART & CURING MY HYPER THYROID, THAT I WAS TOLD BY A DR. WAS… INCURABLE…RUBBISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HEALTH IS A LIFESTYLE, A FEARLESS MINDSET YOU HAVE CULTIVATED WITH TOOLS & KNOWLEDGE YOU USE & IT WORKS!
THAT’S WHAT YOU DON’T GET!!

SO WHEN IT COMES TO AN ATTEMPT TO DISCREDIT A CHAMPION OF THE “NATURAL HEALTH MOVEMENT” YOUR OUT NUMBERED WE THE PEOPLE WANT WHATS RIGHT, FAIR & THE TRUTH..
WE WON’T SETTLED FOR LESS…ANYMORE!!!
LET ME LEAVE YOU WITH THIS..
TO UNDERSTAND THE WILL TO MAKE YOUR OWN CHOICES FOR YOUR OWN HEALTH & IT’S TREATMENT YOU HAVE TO HAVE THE MINDSET, DETERMINATION, CONFIDENCE & KNOWLEDGE..
YOU CAN’T BE AFRAID OF TAKING RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR QUALITY OF LIFE…
IN THAT LIES THE CRUX OF THE PROBLEM…
JJKELLY

June 18, 2013 at 3:25 pm
(34) Isabell says:

Does GarciniaCambgial have your permission to use your videao?

June 24, 2013 at 5:10 pm
(35) Jackie Hanson says:

I saw a product “Wrinkle A Line” which was promoted by Dr. Oz and Oprah
I seldom order these products on line BUT they endorsed it and thought so highly of it I tried a sample. I was called and I said I did NOT want to be put on a reorder list as this was a 30 day trial and I wanted to try it and order it then if I chose to do so. That was fine, the sample came (small pkg) and I
tried it for 2 days and then got a call from my Visa Co. and I had been charged $78.49 and they were questioning the charge, did I o.k. it.
I said no, what was it for and it was for the Wrinkle A Line”. I called the company –after a 15 min wait they were willing to sell it to me for $59.00– I told them No and they said I had to pay to send it back and they would probably be able to refund the $78.49. THIS IS VERY POOR COMMUNICATION—NEVER WAS THE $78 MENTIONED, The gentleman I talked to said “you just didn’t read all the information.” I would not order or trust anything about Dr. Oz………….I was sorry to see Oprah mentioned as I have always felt she was sincere and fair……………….

June 24, 2013 at 7:16 pm
(36) Elizabeth Gill-Bailey says:

I went to the website for Garcinia Cambigia and began to place an order. I never saw the total cost of what I was getting and never agreed to buy it although I had unfortunately put my info on the site. The price that was quoted on site and what they charged my credit card with were totally different. Dr. Oz should know what he is backing and what the company is doing before he backs them. I have tried to get to his website to tell him what I think about the company’s policy but of course that is impossible. I have tried many sites and never come up with any on which I can comtact him. As the person above mentioned, I too would NOT trust products recommended by him as they seem to try to scam you!. This info should go directly to Dr. Oz.

July 21, 2013 at 10:26 pm
(37) Brian Kelly says:

Good Day Dr. OZ Does sugar make you look older?

On the 22-07-2013 I watched a video clip on your site about ‘Not having sugar”

MY STORY ON SUGAR: At the age of seventeen a close friend died. I got very depressed I went to my local GP. His curer for my depression was:

An extra table spoon of sugar, on morning serials (total of 2) an extra teaspoon of sugar in my ‘cup’ of coffee or tea (total of 3) and I’ve been doing that for 60 years.

The most comments about my age is I look in my late 50s or early Sixty
I still have trouble convincing my teenage grandchildren I’m 77years old.

PS. My teeth were the worst for ware because of the sugar

yours truly: Grand farther Brian

August 10, 2013 at 4:32 am
(38) rosy says:

Watching one episode where Dr. oz said not to take calcium and another episode he talks about 5 most important supplements to take, there was the calcium again.. He totally contradict himself. And for me that’s bad, he has way to much influence over the public.

August 28, 2013 at 8:44 pm
(39) Samantha says:

I find him nothing more than a doctor who enjoys being a celebrity. Credible doctors do not endorse products that have little or no effect and in quite a few cases have proved dangerous. Of course, he enjoys the money that he makes from these endorsements. I used to watch him, now I am disgusted with his show and think he should just go back to his craft, surgery and not be so caught up in this superficial celebrity world. He has lost all credibility! He is becoming a joke!

October 9, 2013 at 4:48 pm
(40) Ingrid says:

This dude upsets me to no end. Today his show was about deviated septariums. He spends so much time to take a scope and go up a woman’s nasal cavity to find out the there is a variance. He included surgery for an option.

Less than 1% of us have an even septum.

His show should be taken off the air.

October 27, 2013 at 2:19 am
(41) Richard Tansey says:

Grasp this man,’ instinct greed is 40 million years old. pancreatic cancer,has a prevention not a cure..man has created 75.000 toxin’s in just 60 years and accuming, E.M.F.’S are now known as toxins, the biolidgy of man cannot handle all these toxin’s, and man will not change,so we must change man .Ceolation oral clean’s the villi from undigested pasterized dairy product’s.See dr Fallon’s paper on this,the pancreus has a proticol creating cancer killer cell’s, and balancing diabete’s, to the point of it’s own cancer,after ceolation supplamental p.h. coated enzyme’s made to break down in the small intestine to the villi to the pancreus. And you have foudation’s using celeb’s for money to do reserch,d.r. Ozz, and other’s that left after knowing the truth.Im not the only one knowing this. Read up and verify, i dont monitorily gain. why lie

October 30, 2013 at 8:20 pm
(42) joyce lee says:

I was very disappointed in the oct. 30 show about bunion surgery. I had both bunions surgically removed by a physician in mesa, az, and I did not experience hardly any pain at all. the institute of foot physicians of mesa az (I believe is the name) had a doctor in 2006 and 2007 that removed both bunions and I walked out of the hospital in a foot shoe designed for bunion surgery, and I had pain pills, but did not need them. you have done people a disservice by saying that all bunion surgery is so painful. please reconsider giving only one side of the picture for those who need to have this surgery done.

January 8, 2014 at 3:08 pm
(43) Judy says:

I’m confused about the show. Seems you have gone all about weight loss. What happened to info on diseases and virus’s and health. Everyday it’s about weight loss, hope you do some other stuff.

February 7, 2014 at 10:39 am
(44) Don Thompson says:

My standard is, “Would you buy a used car from this man?”
speaks for itself

February 7, 2014 at 7:45 pm
(45) suzanne says:

Dr. Oz is a lot like Dr. Phil or Judge Judy. They’re really not “practicing” or even pursuing their careers. They’re all Hollywood celebrities and having their own show mean $$~Ratings~$$ Are they entertaining to watch? Yes.. Do I trust him/them?

I’m an actress/extra for films, ads, shows etc. I’ve been contacted by 2 of the 3 shows just mentioned.

February 15, 2014 at 2:54 pm
(46) Bren Joyce says:

Question for Dr. Oz,
When ever I gain any weight, I always gain it in my chest.
Is there a diet I can do to keep this from happening?
I am a calorie counter, should I count the fat grams daily, or any suggestion that would help. Thanks.

February 19, 2014 at 12:15 pm
(47) Richard Tansey says:

On one of the first commercial’s for lusgarden .d.r. oz said ver batem, give money so we can find a prevention and hopefully a cure.The problem is there is a prevention, ive known since 2011, dated on seeking alfaa,calation, then adding p.h.coated enzymes to break down in the lower intestine to the villi,you never hear what arterial plaque is, so i ask you.Pasterized milk mith by Sally Fallon and d.r. marcus.Your not told because it’s a 19.1 billion dollar industry,WHAT other mammal on earth drinks pasterized milk no amino acids or magneseum it glogge’s the villi, and with increasing toxins, and now e.m.f. are toxins. Man has a 40 million year instinck,it’s called GREED,SO YOU LOOK IT UP ,EVEN WHEN I KNOW YOU WONT

February 21, 2014 at 4:15 pm
(48) Geoff says:

The things I’ve seen Oz promote used to be on late night info-mercials or promoted by Ron Popeil. He should be embarrassed and ashamed to be taking his MD and shilling products with it.

And, he’s a cardiac surgeon. NOT a nutritionist and NOT a scientist and NOT a researcher. So unless he’s advising you on cardiac issues with which he’s familiar, he’s just some TV host spouting his opinion.

Columbia Med School should give him the boot. Or at least the students should question whether or not that’s the place they want to get educated if it keeps him on faculty.