1. Health
Trisha Torrey

What's Dhimmitude and What Does It Have to Do With Health Insurance?

By June 26, 2011

A good friend sent me another one of those chain letters that is intended to inflame.  Since it's about healthcare reform, and since it's underhanded, I thought I'd share it with you.

It begins like this:

Now isn't this interesting? It was used in the health care law.  Every day there's another revelation of what Obama is doing to our country.

Dhimmitude -- I had never heard the word until now. Type it into Google and start reading. Pretty interesting. It's on page 107 of the healthcare bill. I looked this up on Google and yep, it exists. It is a REAL word.

Word of the Day: Dhimmitude  Dhimmitude is the Muslim system of controlling non-Muslim populations  conquered through jihad. Specifically, it is the TAXING of non-Muslims in exchange for tolerating their presence AND as a coercive means of converting conquered remnants to Islam.

.....................

In fact yes - that's what Dhimmitude is.  It's not pretty.

HOWEVER - NO - not only is dhimmitude not mentioned in the healthcare reform law (Affordable Care Act) - but it has nothing to do with healthcare reform or President Obama at all.

What the healthcare reform law does address is the exemption of certain religious groups from being fined if they do not purchase health insurance by 2014 when the law requires it.  But those groups are very limited and, in fact, the only ones really identified are Christian!  Amish, Mennonites - people who have historically never accepted social security or Medicare when they are 65.

Further - NONE of this information is located anywhere near page 107 of the law!

The reason this email is so inflammatory is because it suggests that Muslims will be exempt from the requirement to purchase health insurance (or be fined) - as if they are some special group identified by the President.  Untrue, untrue, untrue.  First - the legislation was written by Congress.  And second, Muslims are never mentioned, and since they accept social security and Medicare when they turn 65, they won't ever be exempt.

Please don't fall for this kind of schlock!  Believing it - and worse, passing it on - means someone has pulled the wool over your eyes. They must take you for a fool, believing you to be someone who is willing to pass on misinformation or, as in this case, disinformation.  And we all know there are groups who love that they can get people to do their dirty work for them.

In the future, when you get one, you can use this information to confirm or debunk these emails.  If they are true?  Then sure - pass them on!  But if not?  Then don't play someone else's pawn.

Have you debunked or confirmed an email regarding healthcare?  Share your story with us!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Agree? Disagree?
Share your experience or join the conversation!

NEWSLETTER | FORUM | TWITTER
FACEBOOK | CONNECT

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Comments
July 7, 2011 at 5:45 pm
(1) Kathy says:

I get emails like this from my in-laws all the time. I got tired of deleting them so I said something. That got me in trouble!! So now I go out of my way to refute an email they sent me and then I hit “reply all”. I am now off their mailing list.

December 31, 2011 at 3:03 am
(2) P Allen says:

Kathy, I like your style!!! This is exactly what I am doing with this one: Sending this link and 2 others to show the “real” intention on the original sender
Blessings!!! /

January 6, 2012 at 12:13 pm
(3) Laura Slocumb Oldham says:

TRISHA: Am wondering why you think religious exemptions are not mentioned on page 107 of Obamacare … the following is a quote from page 107:
“(5) EXEMPTIONS FROM INDIVIDUAL RESPONSIBILITY REQUIREMENTS.—
In the case of an individual who is seeking an exemption
certificate under section 1311(d)(4)(H) from any requirement
or penalty imposed by section 5000A, the following
information:
(A) In the case of an individual seeking exemption
based on the individual’s status as a member of an exempt
religious sect or division, as a member of a health care
sharing ministry, as an Indian, or as an individual eligible
for a hardship exemption, such information as the Secretary
shall prescribe.”
????

January 6, 2012 at 1:25 pm
(4) Trisha Torrey says:

Laura – it seems that your page 107 and my page 107 are very different.

You’ll see the page 107 I reviewed linked from the post above. There is no mention of what you have quoted.

Do you have a link to your page 107? Maybe we have different copies of the same thing.

Regardless of which copy anyone is looking at, the answer is that NO – the word dhimmitude is not mentioned and NO – Muslims will not be exempt from paying for their healthcare coverage. They will purchase insurance, or be fined, just like the rest of us.

Here is more information from FactCheck.org.

Trisha

March 11, 2012 at 2:39 pm
(5) IGetItAlready says:

How can this not lead to federal agencies being tasked with the work of determining who is a good “investment” of the finite healthcare resources?

March 17, 2012 at 12:44 am
(6) Dan Scholz says:

Now I’m not educated and I never graduated from high school but I work for a living. I work hard to support my family, 3 sons and a wife. We are responsible with our lives, I have a beer now and then, we don’t smoke, do drugs, heck I don’t even take Tylenol when I get a headache which is usually after hearing that our economy is improving, well not in my neck of the woods. I grew up on welfare in BC Canada. Hey a shout out to all you Canucks! There is nothing more destructive to the self worth of a person than to do nothing and get something. It took years for me to come to my senses and associate “work” with “money”. This has to stop, the working class supporting the class that is sucking the life out of our countries. They have to be educated and trained just like I had to. I am now Owner Operator of my own electrical company. This bill might work without the moochers.

August 15, 2012 at 3:04 pm
(7) Ron says:

Well your lucky to have your own business as I had six years ago. Times have changed and finding work to-day is difficult if not almost impossible. We no longer have manufacturing in AMERICA as in the past. We are programed to buy cheap junk that has to be replaced constantly (I have to purchase Christmas lights every year as they are JUNK) If all of us have to work at Burger King to make a living, then we are in deep crap. What do our children and grand children have in store for their future. We NEED manufacturing a product to make a profit. Service businesses won’t last if the consumer can’t afford them. Ron – New Jersey

September 4, 2013 at 9:56 pm
(8) Joanne says:

Trisha,
I am curious where I might get a copy of this health care document? When was the last time you check it? It may be totally different from a year ago when you last read it or had a copy of it. All info above is dated 2012.
No one will know for sure until they need help. Especially the seniors.
I will be back tomorrow to find an answer as to how I can get a copy of the health care document.
Thank-You,
Joanne

September 5, 2013 at 7:30 am
(9) Trisha Torrey says:

Joanne,

Are you asking for a copy of the entire healthcare law? If so, you can get exactly what you need from here:

If you are talking about the page 107 mentioned above, then it is also linked from above and yes, the link still works.

Except for moving some dates (employer-supported insurance) there are no other changes to the law at all since 2012.

Trisha

September 9, 2013 at 1:04 pm
(10) Take All U Can Get,It's Free says:

Trish,Once again your Socialist blindness has led you to more misinformation.The law hasn’t changed since 2012? What do you call morphing from the original 2500 pages to more than 19,000 pages?No change?How about you deadbeats working for a living and buying insurance from private companies like the few working people left in this country?

September 9, 2013 at 1:16 pm
(11) Trisha Torrey says:

Dear Take All,

You negate anything you contribute to the conversation the moment you call names.

I am not a socialist. My readers are not deadbeats. Children rely on namecalling. Adults use fair argument. Point/counterpoint.

In addition to your namecalling, you reveal your ignorance by suggesting that my readers won’t be purchasing their insurance from private insurers. Just where do you think their employers purchase insurance from? Or what sorts of companies comprise the exchanges for those who won’t be insured by their employers?

Do yourself a favor, Take All: Grow up. Become informed. Don’t waste our time with namecalling and drivel.

Trisha

October 9, 2013 at 10:08 am
(12) brenda says:

I too looked up page 107 and found the same info that Laura did. wonder why the pages would not be the same..??

October 16, 2013 at 1:26 pm
(13) Trisha Torrey says:

As of October 2013:

Here is a link to the page 107 of the Affordable Care Act I see:

You can also search the entire content of the law:

HR3590: Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act

for the word “dhimmitude” or “religious exemptions” or anything else you please.

It’s not there. This is a lie perpetrated by those who don’t like the law. Period. End of conversation.

October 29, 2013 at 10:48 pm
(14) Robert Barnett says:

Obama used it in the health care bill. It was specifically spelled out in one of the original drafts of the ObamaCare bill (page 107) but was taken out after negative fallout from those who actually read the bill.

The fact is that the PPACA legislation does not specifically exclude any particular religious groups from its provisions. The bill contains a general “religious conscience” section which sets forth guidelines under which religious groups who have established conscientious objections to certain forms of insurance may seek exemption from its health insurance requirements: RELIGIOUS CONSCIENCE EXEMPTION — Such term shall not include any individual for any month if such individual has in effect an exemption under section 1311(d)(4)(H) of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act which certifies that such individual is a member of a recognized religious sect or division thereof described in section 1402(g)(1) and an adherent of established tenets or teachings of such sect or division as described in such section.

section 1402(g)(1)” of the Internal Revenue Code

The PPACA may not have any mention of the word “dhimmitude” or “specifically” mention any religion as being exempt from it, it does in fact talk about IRS emptions; ie, religion that does not adhere to social security and the payments associated with it at retirement age. The PPACA has changed alot since its conception, but that does not change the “intent” of its’ author. You can put whatever slant you want on this government health law so-called Obamacare, but it is what it is, and when you talk of getting your facts straight before you make comment and spread dissinformation, you should practice what you preach.